Fat Dissolving Injections
Struggling to get rid of stubborn fat in certain areas of your body? Fat dissolving injections might be the solution for you! These non-surgical treatments can help reduce unwanted fat in areas like the chin, underarms, abdomen, and thighs. Using deoxycholic acid, a natural substance, they break down and eliminate fat cells, giving you a more sculpted appearance. The procedure involves a series of injections over a few sessions, with most patients seeing results after two to four treatments. It’s important to note that fat dissolving injections are not for weight loss, but they can be effective for patients near their ideal weight with isolated areas of stubborn fat.
Fat dissolving injections use deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the body, to break down and eliminate fat cells. When injected into targeted areas, deoxycholic acid disrupts the cell membranes of fat cells, causing them to rupture. Once the fat cells are broken down, the body’s natural processes gradually eliminate them. Over time, the treated area becomes slimmer and more contoured as the unwanted fat is removed.
Kybella, Celluform, Aqualyx, and DESO are all types of fat dissolving products that contain deoxycholic acid to break down and eliminate fat cells. Within Fitzrovia Clinic, the choice of product will depend on factors such as a patient’s medical history, the location and amount of fat to be removed, and any underlying health conditions.
Fat dissolving injections can be used to target and reduce unwanted fat in various areas of the body. Common treatment areas include:
- Submental area (under the chin) to reduce double chin fat.
- Abdomen and waist to address stubborn belly fat.
- Thighs (inner and outer) to target excess fat in these areas.
- Upper arms to reduce arm fat.
- Flanks (love handles) to address fat deposits on the sides of the waist.
- Bra line area to target fat around the upper back.
Fat dissolving injections are generally safe when administered by qualified professionals. Deoxycholic acid, the main ingredient, is naturally occurring. Common side effects include temporary swelling, bruising, and discomfort.
The side effects of fat dissolving injections are generally mild and temporary. Common side effects may include swelling, bruising, redness, and discomfort at the injection site. These effects typically resolve on their own within a few days to a week. Some patients may experience lumps or nodules in the treated area, but these usually disappear over time as the fat cells are broken down and eliminated by the body. In very rare cases, more severe side effects may occur, such as infection or injury to surrounding tissues.
There are several alternatives to fat dissolving injections, also known as lipolysis injections. Some of these options include:
- Liposuction: This is a surgical procedure that involves removing fat deposits from specific areas of the body. It is a more invasive option than fat dissolving injections, but it can remove larger amounts of fat.
- CoolSculpting: This is a non-invasive procedure that uses cold temperatures to freeze and destroy fat cells. The body then naturally eliminates the dead cells over time.
- Radiofrequency (RF) therapy: This is a non-invasive procedure that uses RF energy to heat and destroy fat cells. The body then naturally eliminates the dead cells over time.
- Ultrasound therapy: This is a non-invasive procedure that uses high-frequency sound waves to break down and destroy fat cells. The body then naturally eliminates the dead cells over time.
- Diet and exercise: Making lifestyle changes to reduce calorie intake and increase physical activity can help to reduce body fat naturally over time.