As we age, our skin loses collagen and elastin, leading to wrinkles, fine lines, and volume loss. Thankfully, dermal fillers offer a non-surgical solution to restore a more youthful appearance.
The most popular fillers contain hyaluronic acid (HA), a natural substance found in our bodies, which has the remarkable ability to attract and retain water in the skin, providing a moisturised and hydrated look.
Dermal fillers can be used to treat a variety of cosmetic concerns, including:
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Sunken cheeks
- Hollows under the eyes
- Chin filler
- Weak jawlines
- Sunken temples
- Non-surgical rhinoplasty
Dermal fillers work by injecting a gel-like substance, often containing hyaluronic acid, into the skin. This adds volume, smooths wrinkles, and enhances facial contours. The filler instantly fills lines and hollow areas, while also stimulating collagen production for improved skin texture and firmness. Results are temporary, lasting several months to a couple of years.
Dermal fillers are suitable for individuals who are looking to improve the appearance of their skin and achieve a more youthful, refreshed look.
Suitable candidates for dermal filler treatment:
- Good health
- Realistic expectations
- Age 18 and above (consultation required for younger patients)
- Not pregnant or breastfeeding
- Not taking blood-thinning medications
- No severe allergies or anaphylaxis history
- No active skin infections or inflammation
- No recent facial surgery or laser treatments
Hyaluronic acid fillers, which are the most commonly used type of filler, typically last between 6 and 24 months.
Factors such as sun exposure, an individual’s metabolism, smoking and alcohol consumption can affect how long results last for and we usually advise periodic maintenance treatments.
Hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers can be reversed and removed with the help of a specific enzyme called hyaluronidase. This enzyme breaks down the HA filler, allowing the body to naturally absorb it.
Dermal filler treatment may cause mild discomfort, but it is generally considered to be a relatively painless procedure. Before the treatment, a numbing cream or local anaesthetic may be applied to the skin to minimise any discomfort during the injection process.
Most individuals can typically resume their regular activities right away, although some downtime may be necessary for swelling and bruising to diminish. To minimise these effects, it is recommended to avoid strenuous exercise, sun exposure, and alcohol consumption for at least 24 hours after the treatment.
Dermal filler treatment carries a small risk of side effects, but they are generally rare and mild. Common side effects include temporary redness, swelling and bruising, which usually fade within a few days to two weeks. While other risks exist, they are uncommon and will be discussed by our doctors. If you have any concerns following a treatment, it’s crucial to contact Fitzrovia Clinic.
Dermal filler migration (or redistribution) is a rare but possible side effect of dermal filler treatment. Fillers can sometimes move away from the injection site and settle in another area of the face, creating an unintended effect. This can happen due to factors such as improper placement, facial expressions, or movement of the face.
As hyaluronic acid fillers can be dissolved, any issue with migration can usually be resolved. At Fitzrovia Clinic we also have an ultrasound which we use to assess and manage filler concerns.
For those seeking non-injectable alternatives to dermal fillers, there are several treatments that can help improve the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Here are some options:
- Skincare products: Using high-quality skincare products that contain ingredients such as retinoids, peptides, and antioxidants can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines over time.
- Chemical peels: These are a non-invasive treatment that remove the outer layer of the skin, revealing smoother and more youthful-looking skin underneath.
- CO2 laser skin resurfacing: Our exceptional CO2 laser targets the outer layer of the skin, stimulating collagen production and improving the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Radiofrequency microneedling: Our Secret PRO device combines microneedling with radiofrequency energy to stimulate collagen production and tighten the skin.