Platysmal bands, also known as neck cords, are a common sign of ageing that many people experience as they get older. The platysma muscle, which runs along the sides of the neck, can become more prominent over time due to factors such as ageing, facial exercises, weight loss, or genetics.
Botox injections can temporarily relax the muscles responsible for creating these bands, resulting in a smoother, more youthful-looking neck.
At Fitzrovia Clinic, our clinician will first assess the neck to determine the exact location and amount of Botox needed.
The treatment involves a series of small injections along the length of the neck muscles with a tiny needle.
After receiving Botox, patients can expect to see results within a few days and full effects within two weeks. A follow-up appointment is recommended two to four weeks after the initial treatment to review the results and make any adjustments if necessary.
The effects of Botox typically last three to four months, after which the procedure can be repeated to maintain the desired outcome.
Botox has an excellent safety record and has been used for both aesthetic and medical purposes for many years. While side effects are typically temporary and minor, they can vary between individuals. Common side effects include redness, slight swelling, tenderness, and bruising at the injection site, which usually subside within a few days. Rarely, temporary neck muscle weakness may occur, resolving within a few weeks. During your consultation, we will thoroughly discuss potential risks and complications and provide detailed aftercare instructions for a successful recovery.
Botox for neck cords and a Nefertiti lift are related, but are not exactly the same.
Treating the neck involves injecting Botulinum toxin into the muscles of the neck (the platysma) to help relax them, which can reduce the appearance of neck bands, wrinkles, and creases. By relaxing the muscles, the skin on top of them can become smoother and firmer.
A Nefertiti lift is a specific type of neck lift that uses Botox to lift and tighten the neck and jawline, (named after Queen Nefertiti, who was famous for her elegant, elongated neck). The treatment involves using Botox injections to relax the muscles that pull down on the corners of the mouth and jawline, resulting in a more defined and youthful-looking jawline.
In addition to Botox, there are several other non-surgical options available for neck rejuvenation. These include:
- Radiofrequency microneedling: This stimulates collagen production and tightens skin by creating controlled injuries with tiny needles and delivering radiofrequency energy to deeper skin layers.
- CO2 Laser: This procedure uses a laser to resurface the skin, stimulating collagen production and reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It can also improve skin texture and tone.
- Skin Boosters: Injections of hyaluronic acid hydrate and plump the skin, improving its quality and texture while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Chemical Peels: A solution is applied to the skin to exfoliate and peel, removing dead skin cells and stimulating collagen production. This results in smoother, tighter, and brighter-looking skin.
- Laser Genesis: This is a non-invasive laser treatment that uses heat to stimulate collagen production and improve the texture and appearance of the skin on the neck.
- Limelight IPL: IPL is a non-invasive light therapy that can improve the appearance of sun damage, age spots, and fine lines on the neck.
It’s important to note that the effectiveness of these treatments can vary depending on the individual and the severity of their concerns. It’s always best to consult with one of our doctors to determine which treatment is best suited for your specific needs and goals.